University Of South Carolina Student Murdered After Uber Ride

Nathaniel David Rowland, 25-year-old man, was arrested on Saturday in connection with the death of a University of South Carolina student who went missing after a night out with her roommates in Columbia. The student, Samantha Josephson, was found dead in a rural area, police said. Rowland was charged for the murder and kidnapping of Josephson, police announced during a press conference on Saturday. He waived the right to appear at his bond hearing Sunday, according to the South Carolina Law Enforcement Division. Columbia Police Chief Skip Holbrook said it wasn’t known if Rowland had a lawyer.

Sunday, the judge allowed Josephson’s mother to speak at the hearing. Marci Josephson said her daughter was planning on going to law school after graduating from college in May. She described her daughter as “bubbly, loving, kind, and full of life…” She then went on to say, “…unlike him, Samantha had love within her heart and a purpose in her life…”

Investigators would not say what they thought Nathaniel Rowland did to Josephson from the time she got into his black Chevrolet Impala to when her body was dumped. She was picked up by her “Uber” at the Square of Columbia’s Five Points Entertainment district around 1:30 a.m. And then Friday, her body was dumped in the woods off a dirt road, 65 miles away.

Samantha Josephson had numerous wounds to her head, neck, face, upper body, leg and foot, according to arrest warrants released Sunday by the State Law Enforcement Division. Holbrook also said investigators found her blood in Rowland’s vehicle. The only information the documents leave out is what weapons he used to harm her. Looking in Rowland’s Impala, Josephson’s blood “was just about everywhere…this was a bad scene…” stated the Chief during a news conference. Along with the blood was the girls cellphone, bleach, window cleaner, and cleaning wipes.

Hunters found Josephson’s body on Friday afternoon just a few hours after being dumped. The hunters stated that “the area was very difficult to get to unless you knew how to get there…” Holbrook stated that Rowland recently moved to the area.

The night after Samantha was kidnapped, a Columbia police officer noticed a black Chevrolet Impala about two blocks from the same location and Square where Josephson was kidnapped. “The driver took off, but was arrested after a short chase,” Holbrook said.

“She simply, mistakenly, got into the car thinking it was an Uber ride…” Holbrook said.